Sharing the Same WAS profile across the multiple RAD workspaces
Same WAS profile can be shared across the multiple RAD workspaces because profile is part of the WebSphere Application Server (or WAS Test Environment ). Sharing of the same WAS profile between the different workspaces is not recommended unless there is only one active workspace at any time.
Following things need to consider when sharing the profile
- Avoid making the changes to same application in different workspaces
- Only one workspace is allowed to debug at a given time
It always better to create different WAS profile for each workspace if you are working on same applications (e.g. same code base but parallel development branches or streams). Followings steps makes easy to bring your new workspace with all configurations from your old workspace (workspace preferences and profile configurations).
- Restoring the workspace preferences
- Export the workspace preferences, i.e any custom workspace preferences that you have configured (like console limit, validations …etc)
From the RAD File Menu --> Export --> Preferences
- From the new workspace, import the workspace preferences that you have exported in previous step
From the RAD File Menu --> Import --> Preferences
- Restoring the profile configurations
- Export the server profile configuration from the old workspace
give workspace folder location to save configuration car file
- This car file contains all configurations like Datasources, Security related config (JAAS auth ..etc) , JVM properties , shared libraries, deployed applications …etc. Its basically snapshot of all config for that profile.
- In the new workspace,
- create new WAS profile (for 32-bit Operating systems you can use the Profile Management Tool in the RAD and for 64-bit operating systems you can use the "interactive profile management tool" as described in this article)
- Once the profile is created , add that profile to new workspace
- Click "new" in servers view
- Select "Server Type" and "Server Runtime" and click next
- Select new profile that is created in above step
- click next to add any applications in workspace to server.
- Once the profile is added to workspace , right click on the server profile and restore the old profile configuration (you may need to copy the .car file that exported from the old profile to this workspace folder ).
- Start the server after successful restore, Now you should see all configuration from old profile here.